Maple Family Health Team
Who we are
What is a Family Health Team?
A Family Health Team is an approach to primary health care that brings together different health care providers to co-ordinate the highest possible quality of care for you - the patient.
Designed to give doctors support from other complementary professionals, the Maple Family Health Team consists of doctors, nurse practitioners, nurses and other health care professionals who work collaboratively, each utilizing their experience and skills so that you receive the very best care, when you need it, as close to home as possible.
- What does it mean to be a patient of the Maple Family Health Team?
- What are some of the programs and services the Maple Family Health Team provides?
- Will I still get to see my doctor if he or she is part of the Maple Family Health Team?
What does it mean to be a patient of the Maple Family Health Team?
Family Health Teams are patient centered and you will have access to a number of primary health care services from a variety of team members, including your family doctor. For example:
- Your family doctor will continue to see you during regular office hours.
- You will have access to other health care professionals within the Maple Family Health Team: nurse practitioners, nurses, mental health counsellors, dietitians and pharmacists.
- You will have access to a Maple Family Health Team doctor during extended evening hours for urgent problems (see "After Hours Clinic").
- If you see another doctor in the Maple Family Health Team for treatment, your own doctor will receive documentation about the nature of your problem so that he or she will always be up-to-date about your medical condition.
- If you need assistance after-hours, you can telephone the Family Health Team Telephone Health Advisory Service where a registered nurse will provide advice about your urgent health care concerns. With your permission, your doctor will receive a written summary of your call the next day, so that your doctor is informed of the nature of the problem and the advice you received
- Maple Family Health Team operates using specially funded information technology to organize your health information and share it securely with other other health professionals.
What are some of the programs and services the Maple Family Health Team provides?
The Maple Family Health Team (FHT) provides programs and services to augement the care provided to you by your family physician. See "Progams and Services" for a full discription of the programs that are currently being offered at the Maple FHT.
Will I still get to see my doctor if he or she is part of the Maple Family Health Team?
Yes. Family Health Teams are a group approach to health care where you doctor is able to focus on your complex medical problems but you'll have access to different health care professionals according to your needs